Test preparation TOEFL
TOEFL ITP tests are paper-based and use 100 percent academic content to evaluate the English language proficiency of non-native English speakers
All questions are in multiple-choice format, with four answer choices per question
The tests evaluate skills in three areas:
• Listening Comprehension measures the ability to understand spoken English as it is used in colleges and universities
• Structure and Written Expression measures recognition of selected structural and grammatical points in standard written English
• Reading Comprehension measures the ability to read and understand academic reading material written in English
The test you take may include questions that do not count toward your score
These are either questions that enable ETS to make test scores comparable across administrations or new questions that help ETS determine how such questions function under actual testing conditions
Preparing to Take the Test
TOEFL ITP tests are not based on the content of any particular English course but rather on your English language proficiency—your overall ability to use English
Improvement in proficiency may take some time and is generally achieved through a combination of practice and study
Before the Test
There are several things you can do to prepare for the test and improve your English proficiency:
• Become familiar with the test format and know how to mark your answers on the answer sheet.You can then focus your attention on the test questions themselves.
Carefully review the test directions and the sample questions on pages 10–20, and the sample answer sheet.
• Immerse yourself in the language as frequently as possible and in as many ways as possible. Read textbooks or other materials that cover a variety of subject areas (for example, sciences, social sciences, arts, business) and are written in an academic style.
Watching movies and television and listening to the radio provides excellent opportunities to build your listening skills.
TOEFL ITP Practice Tests, Volume 1.Prepare for the TOEFL ITP test with real practice tests from ETS.
This book contains two complete TOEFL ITP practice tests, a CD-ROM of the listening passages, answer keys, scoring information, study tips, and test-taking strategies.
• Official Guide to the TOEFL ITP® Test. This Official Guide is specifically written to help students prepare for the TOEFL ITP test and includes: